Kelli Briese is devastated after stepping on a needle on the corner of Woongarra and Mulgrave streets.
Kelli Briese is devastated after stepping on a needle on the corner of Woongarra and Mulgrave streets. Mike Knott

Anxious wait after syringe horror

A WOMAN faces an agonising wait for tests to clear her of disease after she stepped on a syringe containing blood by the roadside.

Kelli Briese said she was wearing thongs when she stepped into long grass on the side of the road on the corner of Mulgrave and Woongarra streets two weeks ago.

“I felt something prick my foot and I looked down and there was a syringe with fresh blood in it,” she said.

“I just freaked out; I didn't know what to do.”

Miss Briese went to Bundaberg Hospital and has had two blood tests since then.

“I've got to take another blood test in April and then one three months later before I'm cleared,” she said.

Miss Briese said yesterday the incident had had a terrible effect on her.

“I feel sick when I wake up in the morning and I think there's someone else's blood in my system,” she said.

“Nothing like that has happened to me before and I just started screaming, but there was no one around.”

Miss Briese said she still worried about the incident every day, and she had not worn thongs again since.

“Maybe someone got a syringe from the hospital and just dropped it there, but that's the wrong thing to do,” she said.

“I don't smoke or drink and I go to the gym and keep myself healthy, but now I could get sick because of this.”

Miss Briese said her only slight relief was that this had happened to an adult rather than a child.

“A child might have picked the syringe up or something.

“I just want parents to tell their children that if they see a syringe on the ground they should just leave it and go and tell someone.”

She said she was particularly concerned because the incident happened near both St Patrick's and Bundaberg West primary schools.

A Queensland Health spokesman said the risk of catching a serious infection as a result of an accidental needle stick injury was very low because viruses did not survive for long outside the body.

He said anyone who was accidentally pricked by a needle should wash the area around the puncture for at least 30 seconds using soap and warm water.



ADRIFT: MP calls on Feds to anchor future of flood levee

Premium Content ADRIFT: MP calls on Feds to anchor future of flood levee

Millaquin Bend option should be reconsidered if levee is not progressed or delayed...

PIT STOP: Navy patrol boat docks in at Bundy’s Port

Premium Content PIT STOP: Navy patrol boat docks in at Bundy’s Port

Responsible for fisheries, immigration and drug law enforcement operations, the...

How to activate your free Courier Mail subscription

Premium Content How to activate your free Courier Mail subscription

Did you know you can get even more – for free?