Woman accuses partner of rape

A “POISONOUS relationship” has ended up in court with a woman accusing her long-term partner of rape.

The accused man, who can not be named for legal reasons, appeared in the docks of Bundaberg Magistrates Court yesterday charged with rape, assault and breaching a court order.

Police prosecutor Sergeant Barry Stevens said the 51-year-old defendant and his partner, with whom he did not live, had been drinking at an East Bundaberg address last Friday, before going home together.

The woman alleged the defendant had been verbally abusive before inviting himself to her home.

Sgt Stevens said it was believed the woman showered about 3am before going to her room where the defendant grabbed her, telling her he could do anything he wanted to her.

The alleged victim has accused the man of biting her shoulder before removing her pants and raping her.

However, defence lawyer Matt Messenger said his client claims the act was consensual.

Police were notified about the alleged incident later that morning.

Mr Messenger said the relationship between the two was “poisonous” and it was hard for the man to leave as he had a four-year-old daughter with the woman.

“He needs to get out of Bundaberg and further than Maryborough (Correctional Centre) if that’s what Your Honour is thinking,” Mr Messenger said.

The lawyer said the woman’s claims she did not know the defendant was at the residence where they had been drinking when she arrived were completely false.

“It was single-room accommodation so she would be pretty hard pressed not to know he was there,” Mr Messenger said. “My client’s version is...he went back to the complainant’s where they had a consensual sexual act.”

Mr Messenger said the pair were making breakfast together later that morning when he said he would leave after the meal and the woman became angry.

She threatened to “fix” him by calling the police in relation to domestic violence offences.

“When he went to leave was when the trouble starts for (the defendant),” he said.

The man was refused bail and will face court again next month.



UPDATE: Man tragically loses life after highway crash

Premium Content UPDATE: Man tragically loses life after highway crash

He was the sole occupant of the vehicle and sadly, passed away at the scene.

Children taken to hospital after ‘post-immersion incident’

Premium Content Children taken to hospital after ‘post-immersion incident’

The Queensland Ambulance Service were called to the incident at Bargara last...

Win $20,000 cash or $100 gift cards

Premium Content Win $20,000 cash or $100 gift cards

What sort of difference would $20,000 make in your life?