Warning ‘government' con may scam
THE number of scams circling Bundaberg in the lead-up to Christmas is on the rise, with the latest con claiming to be from a government department offering cash refunds for overcharges on bank fees.
Bundaberg woman Patti Webb received a call on Friday from an Indian-sounding man, who claimed to be Ricky Johnson, informing her she was owed $5248 from the "Department of Reclaim and Export".
"He said it was a part of the government's finance department," she said.
"The scary thing was, he knew my husband's date of birth and where we banked.
"He goes into great detail that if you give him your bank details, he could have the money in your bank account within an hour."
Alarm bells began to ring for Mrs Webb when the man down the other end of the phone began to get cagey with details about himself.
"The crux of it all was I said to him: 'What's your email?'," she said.
"He wouldn't give me an internet address."
Mrs Webb said the man told her the government had employed solicitors in India to do the cash refunds, as it had been cheaper.
"I worked for the Federal Government for 21 years - it doesn't work like that," she said.
"There's old people for sure who are going to get sucked in well and truly."