Prison for home invasion and assault at sister-in-law's house

A 'THUGGISH attack' over a struggling jewellery business has landed a man behind bars.

Ipswich District Court was told Michael Anthony Shelton's wife and her sister were in business together selling jewellery on Facebook and there were ongoing disputes between the pair.

On the night of the attack Shelton, 40, and a friend were drinking when his wife told him she was upset at her sister and the jewellery venture.

Shelton and his friend were originally planning to head to the pub but instead stopped at his sister-in-law's house.

About 9.40pm the woman's husband saw them approach and, not recognising them at first, he told them to leave and tried to hold shut the door when they tried to open it.

The door was kicked in and the lock broken and Shelton entered the house, grabbed the man and punched him in the nose.


> > Council to host forum to keep area free of "catastrophic" CSG

> > $10m promised by Gillard is green light for Ipswich flood work

The man fell to the floor and Shelton kept punching him.

"Not bad for an old man," he said as he hit his brother-in-law on the ground.

Shelton blamed the man for the jewellery business's struggles and threatened to kill him.

The woman yelled for Shelton to stop and tried to pull him off her husband. The other man threw her off Shelton, who told her to give him the jewellery.

She brought the jewellery out and Shelton and his friend left.

Shelton pleaded guilty to burglary in company, and assault occasioning bodily harm in company.


> > Ruling by Court of Appeal means judge can't jail drug grower

> > Child exploitation material found at Ebbw Vale house: Police

The court heard the couple had severed ties with Shelton's side of the family and moved out of the area since the attack. In a victim impact statement the man said he'd lost his job and suffered severe anxiety attacks since the home invasion.

Judge Greg Koppenol said Shelton had engaged in a "thuggish attack" and the phrase "home invasion" did not convey the seriousness of the behaviour.

"Our community needs to know that people who commit offences of this nature will be dealt with in an appropriate nature," he said.

Shelton was sentenced to 18 months prison and will be released on parole after three months.

Bundy family holidaying in Bay claims big lotto prize

Premium Content Bundy family holidaying in Bay claims big lotto prize

A holiday tradition has paid off for a Bundaberg family spending their vacation in...

Weather gods are smiling on Bundy this week

Premium Content Weather gods are smiling on Bundy this week

Things are looking sunny side up in the Bundaberg region. We had a chat to BoM...

‘FAILURE’: MP calls out relocation grants program

Premium Content ‘FAILURE’: MP calls out relocation grants program

The treasurer said the Agriculture Minister is expected to speak more about support...