Trial continues for mother accused of torturing daughters

THE trial of a mother accused of torturing and assaulting her five daughters for almost two decades continued in Rockhampton District Court on Thursday.

One of the accused daughters, who is now in her late 20s, was cross-examined on the witness stand today about the abuse she allegedly suffered at the hands of her mother.

Defence counsel Clare Grant questioned the witness about an incident which allegedly occurred while the accused was living with her five daughters, including the witness, in a women's shelter.

The witness, who was eight-years-old at the time of the incident, told the jury the accused repeatedly punched her as punishment for holding her infant sister incorrectly.

Ms Grant questioned the witness about her ability to recall which women's shelter the incident occurred in as the family had previously resided in a different shelter.

The witness was adamant about which women's shelter the incident occurred in, but when asked by Ms Grant to recall specific details about the shelter and who was in the room at the time of the incident she was unable to give the jury a definitive answer.

Ms Grant put forth an alternative theory, suggesting the witness had not been beaten by her mother as punishment, but instead had her Tamagotchi taken off her.

The witness said she had no recollection of being punished by having her Tamagotchi taken off her, but she remembered owning a Tamagotchi at some point.

Ms Grant also questioned the witness about why she left her daughter in the care of the accused despite the claims of alleged abuse.

The witness told the jury she had been involved in a domestically violent relationship with the father of her daughter and the accused had suggested she take care of her daughter.

Ms Grant questioned whether leaving her daughter in the care of the accused was better than keeping her daughter in her care because of her domestically violent relationship.

The jury heard from the witness the accused refused to give the child back because the witness intended to return to the violent relationship.

The trial will continue tomorrow with Judge Paul Smith predicting the trial will continue until Wednesday, July 20.



Multi-million dollar project slated to trigger job hike

premium_icon Multi-million dollar project slated to trigger job hike

Region jobs will be up for grabs if a $150m solar farm is approved

LETTER: Why limit cashless card to under-35s?

LETTER: Why limit cashless card to under-35s?

Send letters to editorial@news-mail.com.au

Local Partners