Tours to resume at Mon Repos
THE damage to turtle nests from king tides and wild winds at Mon Repos Conservation Park is more severe than first estimated, with 90 nests destroyed.
Mon Repos Conservation Park ranger in charge Cathy Gatley said workers had managed to save a total of 60 nests.
“Out of the 1600 that we have on the beach this season, it is very small and shows how well the relocation program we run throughout the season is working,” Mrs Gatley said.
Despite the blow, the tourist attraction was back to normal operations last night.
The beach had been closed to turtle tours for two nights.
However, even the wild weather did not put a stop to the turtles on Tuesday night.
“We had a number of clutches emerge and two loggerheads ashore to lay,” Mrs Gatley said.
“So I am recommending that we will have plenty of nests to see emerging and we are still having nesting turtles.”
To book your own turtle tour, telephone 4159 1652.