Toad poison threat to dogs on the rise
BUNDABERG pet owners are being warned to keep their dogs away from cane toads or risk them being poisoned by the pesky critters.
Bundaberg North Vet Surgery veterinarian Clarence Bere said as the summer heated up, cane toads were out in force and the surgery had seen about one dog a week that had been poisoned by a toad.
"We see a lot of dogs that have been poisoned by toads here, especially in the summer months," Dr Bere said.
Dr Bere said symptoms of dogs being poisoned by toads included frothing from the mouth, drooling and seizures, which often led to death.
"They don't usually eat them," he said.
"They usually lick them and some have a bit of a chew."
Dr Bere urged dog owners to contact their vet if the above symptoms arose.
"The degree of illness or danger the toads pose differs between individual dogs," he said.
"It's good to call the vet to let them know you're on the way and you can use a wet towel to rub around the mouth and the tongue - that can be the difference between life and death."