Thousands in Monto lost power in Cyclone Dylan
WHILE it did not sustain major infrastructure damage, the North Burnett town of Monto did not escape the impact of ex Tropical Cyclone Dylan with the town and surrounding district's 2042 customers losing power twice on Friday last week.
Area operationsmanager Callide Curtis Brian Dingle power was initially lost in the area just after 8am after a pole top fire caused by tracking in wet weather near Thangool on the main supply line between Biloela and Monto.
Supply was reinstated around five minutes later from the alternate supply line from Littlemore substation and local crews made the site safe and attended to some other weather related contingencies.
Later that day at 4.45pm a pole on the alternate line near Builyan experienced a similar problem not long after work had commenced on repairs to the original problem.
Crews worked into the night to repair both faults and power was reinstated to all customers by 11.56pm and the system returned to normal configuration.
Mr Dingle said tracking during the recent wet weather had caused a number of problems through the broader Gladstone, Biloela and Monto areas.
"All up, we lost nine cross arms and 4 poles over an 18 hours period due to tracking during wet weather" he said.
Tracking is a term used in the Electricity Industry when light rain moistens accumulated dust and contaminants on hardware like pole top insulators after a prolonged dry spell and creates a conducting path for electricity.
This usually results in timber pole top equipment and cross arms being damaged by fire.
"We certainly appreciate the tolerance and understanding of the community and will be investigating options to provide a heightened level of reliability and security of supply for Monto customers" Mr Dingle said.