The Waves send out SOS after another forfeit
UNION: The Waves admit their future in the Spring Cup this season is in doubt if they don't find more players for the club soon.
The side, made up of just 10 players, lost 108-0 to the Pythons at the Brothers Sports Complex on Friday night.
Under the competition's rules, the contest will go down as a forfeit, which Bundaberg Rugby confirmed yesterday afternoon.
Bundaberg Rugby president Luke McCloskey said 11 players must be on the field to constitute a game and the Pythons would get four points for the win.
For and against will be decided at a later date, similar to the Barbarians forfeit win last week against the same side.
Falcons coach Matt Clarkson said the outcome wasn't looking good for the team.
"We have 13 now available for the team with at least five injured players in the side,” he said.
"If we can't pick up players in the next couple of weeks, we will have to fold.”
The frustrating part for Clarkson is that with a few numbers added to the team the Falcons could be playing finals football next year.
"We held Barbarians scoreless and led 5-0 until the 22nd minute mark last week with fewer players,” he said.
"We just need back-up players to help support the core players already there at the club.”
He said he couldn't fault those who turned up on Friday, saying they gave it their all.
Bundaberg Rugby said it would do all it could to help and prevent the club from bowing out of this season.
They hope The Waves Sports Club, with its strong links, can help the club recruit players.
The Waves have the bye next week before facing Isis on November 17.
Players interested can contact the club at the The Waves Falcons Rugby Union Club Facebook page.