The Waves remains in hunt to play state football
FOOTBALL: The waiting game has officially begun for The Waves to see if they are playing state football next year.
Football Queensland will next month announce the sides that will help expand the state competition from one division to two divisions next year.
Aiming to improve the level of competition next season, they will introduce a Queensland Premier League alongside the National Premier League with promotion and relegation from the divisions.
The Waves are hoping they are one of the 16 potential sides named in the competition that will see 14 sides in division one and 14 in division two.
They also represent the only hope Wide Bay has of being in the state competition.
Both Football Bundaberg and Football Wide Bay signed an expression of interest to join the league in January but both withdrew their bid in February to fully commit to a side.
Football Bundaberg said money and securing sponsorship was the issue while Football Wide Bay was happy to support The Waves' bid.
The Waves president Mick McLachlan confirmed a bid had been lodged by the club.
But he said that is all the information they would disclose.
"There's nothing new in the QPL bid,” he said.
"We're just waiting for word from Football Queensland before we can move forward.”
If The Waves are successful they will need to find sponsors, players and staff to get ready for the competition.
The side would also need to field sides in the under-20, U18, U16, U15, U14 and U13 state competitions as well.
The Waves will find out if they are playing on May 5.
There will be more in the NewsMail when the sides are announced.