The phone, the fatal crash and family's fight for justice

IN HONOUR: Julie, Mark and Bailey Watt at the Jayden Watt 10 year memorial tribute.
IN HONOUR: Julie, Mark and Bailey Watt at the Jayden Watt 10 year memorial tribute. John McCutcheon

A DRIVER'S momentary distraction looking at a mobile phone cost Julia Watt her son.

Even though this happened 10 years ago and the driver has been sentenced, Mrs Watt's search for answers is not over. She cannot rest believing police made so many mistakes on the fateful day in on June 16, 2007 when Jayden, 23, was killed on the Cooroy-Noosa Road.

Mrs Watt is considering legal action against the police service and is waiting for answers from Police Commissioner Ian Stewart as to why it took so long for someone to be charged.

"We spent nine years in limbo, without knowing why someone wasn't charged and we are still searching for closure," she said.

"They have all done wrong by us, that's the saddest part, if they did their job right, we would have had answers.

"We want Jay to rest in peace, but we can't until we know what happened."

They don't want the driver, who now has a young family of his own, to go to jail as he admitted at the time he was using a mobile phone.

"He admitted everything and he has his own family," Mrs Watt said.

"He looks like a nice chap, a family man, but he still killed our son."

But she is still angry it was only through her and her sister, Annette Agius's persistence that police began a new investigation in 2014 which led to the charge of dangerous driving causing death.

This week was a good week for the family, it was the first time since Jay's death they were able to go back to his Maroochydore Football Club and watch a game their son loved.

In honour of Jayden, the club also handed out the Jayden Watt 10-year Memorial Medallion to the best player on the day.

"It was good to see the boys," Mrs Watt said.

"It brought back a few memories, I couldn't do it before, but I aim to get involved now."

She also hoped to start doing at talks at schools to warn teenagers about the dangers of using a mobile phone while driving.

"We came back from the Gold Coast on the weekend of the anniversary of Jay's death and there was a lady texting and driving with her knees," she said.

"Mobile phones should be in the boot or switched off when you are driving.

"It is sad to see how many people are on their phones. A split second is all it takes."

Topics:  dangerous driving causing death editors picks mobile phones

First date interrupted by crash into river

MAKING A SPLASH: Police are investigating after a car has landed in the Kolan RIver at Bucca Crossing.

Car narrowly misses pair during late-night swim

Historical water tank to get a facelift

NEW LOOK: The historic Childers water tank.

'It's an important historical and visual entry point...'

Woman returns purse to owner after stealing cash

FINED: Melissa Sue Duncan pleaded guilty to stealing from the purse, which was left behind at a Bourbong Street newsagency.

Shopper fined $550 after 'brain snap'

Local Partners