Texts exposed in star’s alleged rape case
Emerging NRL star Tristan Sailor allegedly drugged a woman before raping her, a court has heard.
The son of Brisbane and St George Illawarra great Wendell Sailor was on Sunday granted bail after being arrested on Saturday and charged with the alleged sexual assault of a woman in Sydney last weekend.
He will remain on bail on several strict conditions as he gets set to answer the charges, with police alleging in court the alleged victim was drugged and "discarded" by Mr Sailor.
Police prosecutor Shannon Ryan described Mr Sailor's alleged actions as "predatory and planned".
He told the court toxicology reports had detected a sedative in her bloodstream and there was evidence to corroborate her alleged injuries.
"The allegations before the court can be categorised as predatory and planned," he said.
"The sedative given to the complainant without her knowledge is consistent with her account and the witness was found in an unconscious state.
"She in my submission was left and discarded in a vulnerable state."
Barrister Richard Pontello SC said there was no proof that Mr Sailor had given her the sedative, sleeping tablet Doxylamine, and that there were any number of "reprobates" who could have been responsible.
He also pointed to several text messages exchanged between Mr Sailor and the alleged victim the following day.
The alleged victim in one text said: "Tristan I don't remember anything after the Uber to mine, just need to know for peace of mind what happened? Did we have sex?"
The court heard Mr Sailor replied: "Sorry I was out, we were playing drinking games and yes we did have sex. I asked you and (the alleged victim's friend) so everything was sweet. I pulled out and everything so it was sweet."
Mr Pontello said that the texts were consistent with his version of events that any sexual contact was consensual.
"He asks how she is feeling," Mr Pontello said.
Mr Sailor was granted bail by Registrar Cally D'Arcy who said any community concerns could be mitigated by strict conditions, including that he report to police daily, abide by a curfew, not drink alcohol and surrender his passport.
Mr Sailor's lawyers tendered five affidavits to the court including from NRL great and Broncos board member Darren Lockyer and former Dragons coach Paul McGregor.
Mr Sailor, 22, was arrested on Saturday after NSW Police raided the Wollongong home he shares with his parents on Saturday morning.
Police received a complaint from a 24-year-old woman that she was sexually assaulted at a southern Sydney home last weekend.
Police have alleged the woman sustained injuries during the alleged assault.
Officers from the Child Abuse and Sex Crimes Squad launched Strike Force Rouget before Mr Sailor was arrested on Saturday and charged with aggravated sex assault - inflict actual bodily harm.
Mr Sailor made five appearances for the Dragons in 2019-20 however has not been offered a spot on their 2021 roster under incoming coach Anthony Griffin.
He had been earmarked as a future representative player but has struggled for game time since making his debut in 2019.
The club's decision not to offer him a new contract angered his father Wendell who said he was "disappointed" his son had been cut.