Unlikely way terror plot was foiled
A TERRORIST plot to blow up Melbourne's Queen Victoria Market was foiled by members of a British family who pretended to be willing recruits.
A man, who claimed to be part of an overseas terrorist network, sent encrypted texts and voice files with instructions on how to set off a bomb at the market to the 'recruit' over five months.
But the recruit was actually a British-based family of "amateur jihadi hunters" and the correspondence was forwarded to the Australian Federal Police and Victoria Police, The Herald Sun reported on Tuesday.
A Victoria Police spokesman said the matter was assessed and it was determined they posed no threat.
"Our teams regularly receive information from various sources and carefully assess that information based on validity and risk," the spokesman said.
"These matters were assessed earlier this year in accordance with that process and it was determined that they pose no threat in Australia."
The plot apparently involved making a car bomb and driving it at a crowded corner of the market.
Queen Victoria Market chairman Paul Guerra said the plot came to its attention on Monday.
"We're in very close contact with Victoria Police," he told Melbourne radio 3AW.
"They alluded to this yesterday but there is no credible threat, there's certainly no immediate threat."
Mr Guerra said the market had its own security team but also worked closely with police.
"It's a number one international tourist destination for the whole of Melbourne - therefore we have a close working relationship with Victoria Police," he said.