Two hurt in alleged racial attack

TWO men have been bailed after an alleged racial attack against two teenage brothers at Elliott Heads on Sunday.

The alleged robbery and assault took place at the Isis Road car park about 10.30pm.

The 17-year-old complainant was asleep alone in the car when he was allegedly woken by a man hitting him with a torch, with another two men standing outside.

The teen was allegedly dragged from the vehicle and beaten around the head and chest.

“He was told, ‘Foreigners shouldn’t be in this country, give us your phone and wallet’,” Bundaberg Police prosecutor Sergeant Barry Stevens said

The alleged attack intensified when the teen’s 15-year-old brother returned, and the pair took shelter in the car.

“The complainant pleaded with them not to take a laptop and the defendants (allegedly) punched and kicked his head,” Sgt Stevens said. “His brother was also (allegedly) attacked.”

At this point, one of the men allegedly said he was going to get a gun and threatened to kill the teen, before allegedly stealing the computer.

Bundaberg Police later attended an Elliott Heads address, where 23-year-old Matthew Jon Connell was allegedly so aggressive that police were forced to use capsicum spray.

The Gin Gin man faced charges including robbery with actual violence and obstructing police.

Unemployed Elliott Heads 23-year-old Jamie Luke Owens, whose wallet was allegedly found at the scene, was charged with violent robbery.

“Bail should be refused as it was an unprovoked attack of a very serious nature against a 15-year-old and a 17-year-old, one of whom was asleep, using the justification that they were not from Australia,” Sgt Stevens said.

“There is a belief common among offenders in this region that backpackers are a soft target because of the difficulty in getting witnesses from overseas. The full condemnation of the court should show that behaviour of this kind will not be tolerated.”

But the duty lawyer for the men said there was no reliable identification of the alleged attackers.

They were bailed to reappear on March 8.

Word by word: Barnes makes his case

premium_icon Word by word: Barnes makes his case

Read how things unfolded for councillor Barnes at Monday's meeting

Search for car involved in overnight hit-and-run

Search for car involved in overnight hit-and-run

Police investigate a hit-and-run incident from overnight

Childers kidnapping trial moved to Brisbane for 'security'

premium_icon Childers kidnapping trial moved to Brisbane for 'security'

Judge rules Bundaberg Courthouse is dated and too small for trial

Local Partners