Teenager refused bail
A TEENAGER facing 15 criminal charges from an alleged crime spree — including a knifepoint robbery at a motel — was refused bail yesterday.
David James Brackin, 17, of east Bundaberg, faces 15 charges including possessing dangerous drugs, robbery with actual violence while armed, wilful damage and eight break and enters.
The teen sat shaking his head in the dock at Bundaberg Magistrates Court as police prosecutor Sergeant Barry Stevens outlined his alleged crime rampage from December 2009 to March 2010.
Sgt Stevens said Brackin allegedly held up an Alexandra Park Motor-Inn receptionist at knifepoint on March 3.
Brackin is accused of knocking the man unconscious and stealing his wallet after the man tried to defend himself with a chair.
When interviewed by police, Brackin said he had targeted the man because he heard the complainant often carried large amounts of cash.
He is also accused of breaking into several homes over four months, including the home of an 87-year-old visually impaired man.
Sgt Stevens said police also executed a search warrant at Brackin's home on December 16, 2009, where they found drugs including heroin, speed, marijuana and testosterone.
“These alleged offences were committed while the defendant was on bail,” the prosecutor said.
Defence barrister Nick Larter said his client was a ward of the state and was trying to distance himself from bad influences.
“He was living in a block of units full of paedophiles and criminals and really wasn't given much or chance of succeeding in life,” Mr Larter said.
“Since being in custody, he has taken steps to better himself.”
Magistrate Zac Sarra reinforced the meaning of bail to the teenager.
“Bail is a promise. You had already given your word to this community and you allegedly committed further offences,” he said.
Mr Sarra denied Brackin's bail application.
“I would encourage you to think strongly about changing the path you are on while you are on remand,” Mr Sarra told him.
The drugs charges were committed for trial in district court and the other matters were set down for mention on October 18.