Desperate hunt for teenage girl

A SEARCH for a teenage girl missing in the waters off Glenelg will resume this morning, after the dramatic rescue of four others at the popular beach late Sunday.

Earlier, there were frantic efforts by surf lifesavers and police to search for the girl near the Holdfast Marina.

Boats and rescue helicopters searched, as dozens of locals lined the beach, watching and hoping.

The four teenagers were rescued by surf lifesavers after getting into trouble about 5.50pm.

A 17-year-old was in a critical condition and given CPR by paramedics on the way to the Royal Adelaide Hospital.

The other three were taken to other hospitals.

The Health Department said it could not release details of their condition because of their ages.

Several people, believed to be friends of the missing girl, and other beachgoers joined in the search on the rocks near the breakwater north of Glenelg jetty.

At least six distressed people at the scene were escorted by police officers and Glenelg Surf Lifesaving Club volunteers. The area is near where two children drowned on New Year's Day last year.

The area is near where two boys drowned on New Year's Day last year.

Tahni Olofsson, 17, of Marion, said people were searching for the missing girl for hours.

"We just heard there were five kids and they rescued four but one was still missing," she said.

"They were hysterical.

"She (missing girl) could be anywhere right now, it's hard to say when they'd give up the search."

Paulene Decazanove was visibly upset when she heard what had happened after seeing ambulances on the beach.

"It looks like a big family," she said. "I saw people coming from the ocean with someone in their arms.

"That's when I knew something was wrong."

At least five rescue boats alongside police divers searched the waters.

Police from the Water Operations Unit and the police helicopter assisting lifesavers in the search.

On New Year's Day in 2016, two young boys, both 11, drowned at Glenelg after getting into trouble.

Two friends, Frank Ndikuriyo and Thierry Niyomwungere, from Adelaide's northern suburbs, were pulled unconscious from the water.

Their deaths sparked an outpouring of grief at their funerals, with more than 700 people coming together, and prompted warning signs to be installed at the Glenelg breakwater.

Another boy died at the same spot in 2007, and there were calls at the time for signs warning of the danger of strong currents and rips in the area.

'Too low': Call for dole to be doubled

'Too low': Call for dole to be doubled

'It is forcing us to live under the poverty line"

Property prices a key for city deals

premium_icon Property prices a key for city deals

Population set to grow in regions

Bundaberg man on trial for raping child cousin

premium_icon Bundaberg man on trial for raping child cousin

23-year-old says he has never had any sexual interest in children

Local Partners