'Taking us for mugs': War of words over rail funding
FEDERAL MPs claim the Sunshine Coast has been abandoned by the State Government over a refusal to match a $390 million commitment for the North Coast rail line duplication.
Fisher MP Andrew Wallace labelled Transport Minister Mark Bailey's offer to not fund 50 per cent of the project as "cheap party politics" considering the rail line was "entirely a State Government responsibility".
"Enough is enough," he said.
Member for Fairfax Ted O'Brien was also critical of Mr Bailey, saying "I think they're taking us for mugs".
"Here we have, for the first time in history, a Federal Government offering $390 million for such works and the state is trying to wriggle out of it crying that it's not enough," he said.
Mr O'Brien said the Federal Government's $390m allocation was "effectively a cash gift that cuts the cost of construction for the state in half".
"It doesn't make sense that the State Government would forego 1800 jobs and an additional 150 services a week for some of the fastest growing regions in Queensland just so they can play politics," he said.
Mr Bailey last week called on the Federal Government to increase its offer, indicating an 80 per cent contribution would be fairer.
The Queensland Budget will be handed down on June 12.