Sunshine Coast police shootings form part of inquiry
THE deaths of two men who were killed by police in separate incidents on the Sunshine Coast will form part of a coronial investigation into fatal shootings by police.
A pre-inquest conference held on Tuesday heard how Anthony William Young, who was shot at Coolum in 2013, and Edward Wayne Logan, who was shot at Tewantin in November last year, died after police shot them.
Counsel assisting the coroner Stephen Keim said Mr Young, 42, was visiting family at Coolum in August 2013 when he stabbed a man and a woman. A child witnessed part of the stabbing.
When two police officers arrived at the house, Mr Young was outside with a machete in his hand.
He started advancing on police and officers shot him, the pre-inquest conference heard.
Mr Young was taken to hospital and died in surgery.
In November 2014, Melbourne man Mr Logan, 51, was staying at a Tewantin home when an argument broke out at a birthday party.
Mr Logan threatened to kill people at the party and police were called.
When they arrived Mr Logan was holding a metal pole from a letterbox. One officer started to run backwards when another fired.
The two men were among five who were shot and killed by police between August 2013 and November last year.
Tuesday's conference kick-started a lengthy coronial inquiry that will include five inquests - one into each person who died - starting in November.
Following these a sixth inquest will be held next year to examine possible preventative measures.
Mr Keim said several issues would be examined including the police response, whether police training in shoot to kill models rather than shoot to wound was appropriate, the use of body-worn cameras on police and how mental health records were kept.
Mr Young's and Mr Logan's inquests will be held later this year in Maroochydore.
- APN NEWSDESK