Stricken road reopens
ASIDE from water, relief was the main thing coursing through Acardia Dr yesterday, after workers and school children were able to cross the previously collapsed causeway.
About 250 residents were trapped when the causeway - the only way in and out of the area - collapsed in the early hours of Sunday after a deluge of rain.
Bundaberg Regional Council workers and contractors, who had been fixing the causeway, worked through Sunday to provide a temporary fix to the crossing.
Retiree Don Wiskar, who has lived in the area for 15 years, said he was not too inconvenienced by the collapse but had some concerns if there was an emergency.
"The people who had to go to work were a lot more worried," he said.
The temporary fix has involved relaying pipes and backing dirt and gravel to fill the collapsed area.
Cars have been driving slowly across the repaired section, which is quite boggy in some areas.
Another resident Julie Sweeney said her husband had no problems getting across the roadway early yesterday morning to go to his job in Roma.
"It's just one of those things that happens when it rains and the creek is running," she said.
The problems first started when the causeway collapsed before the Christmas floods in 2010 and smaller pipes were put in as a temporary fix.
Deputy Mayor David Batt, who was out helping fix the problem on Sunday, said a long-term solution had taken some time because the council need to design the causeway and apply for natural disaster relief funding.
"We are still waiting for approval, but we thought we would go ahead because the work needed to be done," Cr Batt said.
Work to permanently fix the causeway by installing larger pipes is almost halfway through and is due to be completed by the end of July.
Cr Batt said it was not clear when work would restart after the rain.