Maxwell ‘100% serious’ about bold Ashes plan
As former Test batsman Rob Quiney made the bold claim that Glenn Maxwell's continued omission from the Test setup must be personal, the overlooked star says he's taken one key complaint "out of the hands" of selectors.
Maxwell, who last played Test cricket against Bangladesh in 2017, was on Wednesday again brushed by selectors in Australia's 13-man squad to face Sri Lanka in a two-Test series starting later this month.
National selector Trevor Hohns insists there is no personality clash between Maxwell and selectors, while revealing they wanted the maligned star's focus to be on white-ball cricket ahead of the World Cup.
But Maxwell, who has previously expressed his disappointment at being restricted in how much first-class cricket he can play each home summer due to white-ball commitments, will take a new path this year in a bid to enhance his Ashes claims.
He's signed a deal to link up with English county side Lancashire which will allow him to play six one-day matches - and also a first class match, which will allow him to showcase his red and white-ball qualities in English conditions ahead of the World Cup and Ashes.
"I've certainly made it clear that I wouldn't have gone to England this year if I wasn't still trying to play Test cricket," Maxwell told The Unplayable Podcast.
"There's a big thought from my side that I'm not getting enough first-class cricket in Australia and that's probably shown by this summer - I'm only going to play two Shield games for the whole season.
"And when you play more white ball trying to get ready for that World Cup it's going to hurt your chances of pushing forward your Test selections.
"So, I've taken it out of their hands and signed with a County early so at least I can give myself some sort of red-ball cricket and some sort of longer-form experience, because for a player who's played as long as I have I certainly haven't played the amount of first-class cricket as everyone else has."
While Hohns was adamant that it was purely down to form that Maxwell, who averages 41.10 in first class cricket, remains on the outer with selectors, a former teammate was not so sure.
Quiney, who played two Tests for Australia and was a long-time teammate of Maxwell's at Victoria, believes there's a personality clash between the talented all-rounder and influential people at the selection table.
"To be honest, they say it's got nothing to do with his personality, but I do. There's something there they don't like about Maxy because he's ticked enough boxes runs-wise," Quiney told SEN Breakfast.
"They talk about him needing more hundreds, but no one's making hundreds. If that's the case, everyone gets dropped from the four Tests against India.
"The message keeps changing with him."
Quiney says the call for Maxwell to focus on white-ball cricket only - a demand which isn't placed on Australia's other key players who feature in the three formats, such as paceman Mitchell Starc - is unusual.
"I just disagree with how they're going, we want him to focus on white-ball cricket for the World Cup, why is he all of a sudden being plucked and told to focus on white-ball cricket only?" Quiney said.
"It just seems weird and that's why I reckon it's got to be something personal.
"To his credit, he's been just getting on with what he needs to do and he's doing it really maturely at the moment."
But when questioned on Maxwell's omission and the suggestion there could be a character clash, Hohns said the issues were purely cricket-related.
"There is nothing to do with that at all," Hohns said.
"Sure, when we look at teams now we obviously take into account players' characters but I can assure you there is no issue whatsoever.
"Glenn hasn't played Test cricket for us for a while and I guess right here and now we are wanting him to focus on white-ball cricket with the World Cup coming up."
Every Test, ODI, T20I, and BBL match live. SIGN UP NOW!