Snake victim's deadly gamble
A TEENAGER was struck on the hand by a large eastern brown snake yesterday morning while trying to capture it in a shed on his rural property.
The 18-year-old Deepwater man was airlifted to Bundaberg Hospital, where he was administered antivenene and remained in a serious condition last night.
The incident has prompted a stern warning from Snakes Downunder Reptile Park owner and Childers-based snake catcher Ian Jenkins, who believes wet weather may have brought the deadly brown snake out of hiding.
Mr Jenkins said most snakebites resulted when people attempted to chase, capture or kill the reptiles.
“You are taking a chance with a volatile animal and it's a gamble you could pay for with your life,” he said.
When the AGL Action Rescue chopper touched down on the Deepwater property soon after 11am, paramedics found the man lying on his side at home vomiting blood.
Pilot Dick Snell said it was clear the young man had copped a heavy dose of the fast-acting venom.
“He wasn't in a real good way,” Mr Snell said.
Paramedics hooked the man up to an intravenous drip and applied a pressure bandage to his arm and hand.
The man's family members managed to capture the snake in the esky after it had bitten him and when paramedics arrived they removed the lid to show them.
The snake escaped from the container and was not recaptured.
Mr Jenkins believed residents around the Bundaberg region may come into contact with a greater number of snakes this summer because of recent heavy rain and widespread flooding.
“Many snakes live in holes and burrows so many have been flushed out of their homes,” he said. “They often go and seek out safer hideouts on higher ground.”
Stay calm. Call Triple-0
Ensure victim sits or lies as still as possible
Apply pressure bandage to the entire bitten limb.