The house where a man held police at bay.
The house where a man held police at bay.

Man's eight-hour siege with police

A YAROOMBA man is in hospital after an eight-hour stand-off with more than 20 police at his house, where a flame thrower, large bladed knives and a baseball bat were recovered.

Police, including a specialist response unit, swooped on the extensive split-level house on Binnea Street at 7.30pm on Monday night.

The siege did not end until 3.15am yesterday.

Neighbouring houses were evacuated when police learned a gas bottle had been lit and turned into a makeshift flame thrower.

The drama only ended when negotiators enticed the man outside the house where waiting police took him into custody without injury to anyone involved.

A neighbour, Bob, 52, said he noticed a police car across the road just before 10pm but was content on minding his own business until an early morning knock on the door.

"Two police officers in uniform were there asking if the SWAT team (SERT - Special Emergency Response Team) could use our driveway and carport," the husband and father of two said.

"I asked if there was a problem.

"I heard something about a samurai sword, and they just said there was an issue across the street so I said 'no problem, I don't need to know anymore' and moved the cars out of the way for them."

Sunshine Coast police Superintendent Ben Hanbidge praised the efforts of all police involved after they received the Triple 0 call.

"Police negotiators were called to the scene to communicate with a 57-year-old who had armed himself with knives and a baseball bat," Supt Hanbidge said.

"There was also some evidence that the male person had ignited a gas bottle like a flame thrower."

Supt Hanbidge said the man was taken to the mental health unit at Nambour General Hospital, where he was undergoing a health assessment.

"This was an excellent response by all officers involved," Supt Hanbidge said. "This person was clearly agitated and presented a significant risk to nearby residents who were evacuated."

An update on the man's condition was not available yesterday due to hospital guidelines regarding the sharing of details on mental health patients.

The neighbour Bob was so unconcerned about the drama that he went to bed after lending his carport and driveway to police.

Two officers returned to his house yesterday to thank him for his assistance. But being helpful proved nothing unusual for Bob, a concierge team leader Bob at the Hyatt Regency Coolum.

He said his 14-year-old son and 10-year-old daughter slept soundly through the entire incident and were still unaware late yesterday of what occurred across the street.

"The wife was a bit nervous and kept peering through the curtains, so I told her to go to the lounge - I had to get up early," Bob said.

He said he had never seen the man involved in the stand-off.

RECOGNISE ANYONE: People police are looking to speak to

Premium Content RECOGNISE ANYONE: People police are looking to speak to

Do you recognise any of the people pictured? Bundaberg police are looking to speak...

COLOUR POP: New hair care collection celebrates diversity

Premium Content COLOUR POP: New hair care collection celebrates diversity

The Goreng Goreng artist who grew up in Bundaberg has teamed up with a leading...

ROAD CLOSURE: Road in Gin Gin closed due to crash

Premium Content ROAD CLOSURE: Road in Gin Gin closed due to crash

The road is expected to remain closed until at least midday after a crash.