Sick beheading video being shared
WARNING: GRAPHIC CONTENT
Irish police have appealed to the public to stop sharing images and videos of a 17-year-old being dismembered on social messaging apps.
The Gardai investigating the murder of Keane Mulready-Woods said the unverified images were distressing and disrespectful to his family.
Police confirmed partial human remains discovered at Coolock, north of Dublin, on Monday were those of the teenager who disappeared on Sunday night wearing a tracksuit and Canada Goose jacket.
His severed head was discovered inside a burning car and other body parts were found in a park.
"This is a brutal and savage attack on a child and is completely unacceptable in any normal democratic society," Chief Supt Mangan said.
"The level of violence is shocking."
"It is important to remember that Keane was a child, a young boy, trying to find his way in life, he has now lost his life and his family have lost their loved son and brother," he said.
Police are now hunting a hitman and asked people not to share the sick film online, the Daily Mail reports.
Police believe Keane was murdered as part of a drugs war between gangs based in Drogheda, a town north of Dublin.
Their main suspect is alleged to be a hitman from North Dublin, who officers describe as a "psychopath" and a "serial killer".
Keane may have been targeted in revenge for the gangland hit of Richie Carberry in November 2019, The Sun reports.
Carberry, 39, was gunned down outside his home in Bettystown, County Meath.
Cops think Keane was attacked due to his links to some of the gangster's killers.
A source told The Irish Sun: "There is a lot of paranoia out there and because he [Keane] was working for both sides, he would have been an easy target.
"Associates for Carberry were baying for blood and they wanted someone to pay with their life."
Keane was last seen by family around 6pm on Sunday in Drogheda, a town north of Dublin. By 10pm that night police had responded to an emergency call that stated a bag containing human remains had been found in the city.
At 1.30am on Wednesday, a call from Dublin Fire Brigade found a Volvo car with fake licence plates on fire with further human remains uncovered in the car.
Gardai believe Keane was lured to his death after he was due to meet friends on Sunday.
Another source said: "We are dealing with young people who have got involved in something way over their heads and can see no way out.
"People should pick up the phone and tell Gardai what they know because this type of violence only leads to further barbaric acts."
Tributes to the murdered teenager were posted on social media, with one saying: "What sort of world are we living in. He was only a child. God love the young lad's family."
Another said: "Thinking of you all. My heart is absolutely broke for you. It's such a cruel world."
- With The Sun