Shed goes up in smoke
A YANDARAN woman was lucky not to lose her home after some boxes she was believed to be burning got out of control.
Although fire bans have been lifted, locals were reminded about fire safety yesterday afternoon when the resulting grass fire engulfed a shed and threatened her home, in Maiseys Road.
Bundaberg station officer Vicki Shailer said they received the call about 2pm, and attended the scene with Avondale and Yandaran fire-fighting crews.
“We believe the owner may have been burning some boxes in an incinerator,” Ms Shailer said.
“The grass fire had gone into the shed and completely destroyed it and its contents on (their) arrival.”
Ms Shailer said neighbour Peter Eisenhut was trying to stop the blaze from reaching the house when they arrived.
“It was blowing a northerly gale, so I drove over there, but it was too big to do anything,” Mr Eisenhut said.
“There was no one home over there, so I threw a few buckets over it.”
Mr Eisenhut said he could see the fire and smoke from his veranda and knew something had to be done.
“It's extremely dry, and with the wind... more than anything this should be a lesson for anyone - you just don't light fire on days like this,” Mr Eisenhut said.
“The firies said it (the house) could have gone up. It's a lesson not to light fires on these days - it's too dry, you can't control it.”
Yandaran rural fire-fighter Annette Hartfiel agreed it was dangerous weather for any fire activity.
“It burnt the grass in between two concrete tanks and got just under the stairs,” Miss Hartfiel said.
“It was a close call, and on days like this it can get away so quick.
“It could have been much worse.”
Miss Hartfiel said the co-operation between rural firefighters was always an benefit in such situations.
“Out in the bush, we all work together,” she said.
The blaze was out by 3.30pm.