Severe storm warning for areas including Gayndah, Mundubbera
A SEVERE Thunderstorm warning has been issued for destructive wind, heavy rainfall and large hailstones.
The warning applies to people in the Darling Downs and Granite Belt and parts of the Central Highlands and Coalfields, Capricornia, Wide Bay and Burnett and Maranoa and Warrego Forecast Districts.
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce destructive winds, heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding and large hailstones in the warning area over the next several hours. Locations which may be affected include Gayndah, Mundubbera, Dalby, Roma, Emerald, Taroom, Rolleston, Springsure, Goondiwindi, Moura and Carnarvon National Park.
Golf ball-sized hail and damaging winds were reported in Chinchilla.
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services advises that people should:
* Move your car under cover or away from trees.
* Secure loose outdoor items.
* Avoid driving, walking or riding through flood waters.
* Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
* Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm.
* Beware of fallen trees and powerlines.
* For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132 500.
The next warning is due to be issued by 9:20 pm.
If severe thunderstorms develop in the Southeast Queensland area (east of Dalby from Rainbow Beach to Stanthorpe), a more detailed Severe Thunderstorm Warning will be issued to people in this area.
Warnings are also available through TV and Radio broadcasts, the Bureau's website at www.bom.gov.au or call 1300 659 219.
The Bureau and Queensland Fire and Emergency Services would appreciate warnings being broadcast regularly.