Violent home invasion accused to face higher court
ONE of two people charged in relation to what police described as a violent home invasion at Helidon in which a man was allegedly hog-tied and beaten is to take his case straight to the higher court.
Peter Travis Holborn, who last month turned 23 in custody where he has been held since his arrest in July, was not in Toowoomba Magistrates Court yesterday for the brief mention of his charges.
Police claim he and co-accused Melanie Maree Middleton, 27, and possibly up to two others had burst into the 53-year-old man's Helidon home in the early hours of July 11.
The complainant man told police he had been struck with a torch before having his wrists tied together with masking tape and his legs hog-tied with cord. He also claimed to have had a pillow case put over his head.
Police claim the man's mobile phone and car were then stolen.
Neither accused has been required to enter any pleas to charges of entering a dwelling with intent at night, assault occasioning bodily harm, deprivation of liberty, robbery with violence in company and stealing.
Holborn's legal representative Tom Glassey of Toowoomba law firm MacDonald Law told the court his client wanted to proceed by way of full hand-up committal hearing and take all charges up to the District Court.
Magistrate Damian Carroll therefore adjourned the case until October 9 when Holborn will appear in court by video link from the prison for the hand-up committal.
There being no application for bail, Holborn was remanded in custody.
Middleton's case is still progressing through the court process.