Residents say ‘no more'
REHBEIN Ave residents are still picking up the pieces left behind by a group of allegedly drunken youths in a rampage through the normally peaceful Hummock neighbourhood.
A gang of about 50 teenagers, aged between 14 and 18, surged down Anthony's Rest and Rehbein Ave towards Bargara Rd on Friday night, leaving a trail of destruction behind them.
When police intervention dispersed the youths about 8.45pm, residents in the area found letterboxes uprooted and hurled on to the street, wine casks perched on top of hedges and graffiti scrawled over parked cars.
One resident likened the ruckus to a herd of stampeding cattle and said the incident had left a bad taste in the mouth of those living in the street.
The party was held by a 20-year-old man who claims the destruction was wreaked by carloads of gatecrashers who turned up uninvited.
Retiree Mavyn Willes said a rampage, rather than a party, was the best way to describe what took place in the neighbourhood on Friday night.
"I don't mind the teenagers blowing off steam and having a bit of fun, but this is absolutely ridiculous," she said.
Mrs Watts suffered no vandalism or graffiti to her property but did spend the morning fishing wine casks and empty alcohol cans and bottles out of her front garden.
It is believed two parked cars in the area are close to being written off after having symbols and crude motifs scrawled across them.
Resident Ellen Whan said the incident had been disturbing and had made many residents concerned for their safety.
"I was quite scared, to be honest," she said.
"It's an absolutely ridiculous way for kids to behave."
Police have charged two boys, 17 and 15, with public nuisance in relation to the matter.
A police spokesperson asked people organising parties to ensure they were registered with police.