Reclaim the Night event marks 20 years
ON OCTOBER 30, the Bundaberg community has been asked to come together to rally against sexual violence towards women and children as part of the annual Phoenix House Reclaim the Night event.
Phoenix House management committee member Trisha Mabley said from 6pm, the community could gather to take part in a candlelit march down the main street of the CBD area.
"We will be signing our Reclaim the Night banner from about 2pm (October 29), the march will then take place at 6pm (October 30) and we will then have guest speakers including Member for Bundaberg Leanne Donaldson as well as tae kwon do, choir performances and more," she said.
This year marks the 20th anniversary of Reclaim the Night in Bundaberg, which was established as part of Sexual Violence Awareness Month.
"The event aims to get the message out there that domestic and sexual violence is not okay. That yes means yes and no means no," Ms Mabley said.
"It is a free event and we would love to see everyone turn up in support of it."
Phoenix House director Helena Botros said the global event had been happening around the world for a number of years and allowed women to come together to speak out against violence and to celebrate strength.
"It first started back in 1976 in Belgium and was then carried out in Australia in 1978," she said.
This year, the Bundaberg Regional Council and CQUniversity have jumped on board to support the event.
"We are extremely grateful for all the support we have received from these organisations plus many other local businesses," Ms Mabley said.
Reclaim the Night will take place at the CBD pavilion on Bourbong St at 6pm next Friday, October 30.