Rayner will fight charge

CRICKET: The most destructive cricketer in Bundaberg may miss this season’s grand final.

Brothers batsman Adam Rayner will appeal to a judiciary on Saturday regarding two charges stemming from last year’s NewsMail Cup decider.

At a meeting last Saturday, a panel agreed that Rayner should answer charges of indulging in conduct detrimental to the game and using crude and abusive language.

Brothers Cricket Club president Vince Habermann has indicated the club would fight the charges in the hope he can play in next weekend’s final.

“He will be pleading not guilty to charges because he is innocent,” Habermann said.

Rayner escaped suspension earlier this year and was instead issued a suspended eight-week match ban and $400 fine.

His captain, David Boge, was readying himself for life without the big-gun batsman.

“I think if there is one person Wests would rather not see in our attack, it is Adam,” he said. “I hope we can win without him.”



NRL legend is set for his next chapter

premium_icon NRL legend is set for his next chapter

Thurston talks to the NewsMail about life after football

Controversial 1770 development decision spurs robust debate

premium_icon Controversial 1770 development decision spurs robust debate

Councillors vote to approve 1770 development despite reservations.

Local Partners