Rain plays havoc with Burnett Cup
AN eight-inch deluge put four holes of the Bundaberg Golf Course under water last week and brought a halt, yet again, to Burnett Cup competition.
All play was cancelled on the weekend, pushing organisers into overdrive to formulate the catch-up rounds.
Four ground staff worked all day last Monday and were able to mow the entire course, but by Friday the fairways looked more like lakes, according to head greenkeeper Sean Stuchbery.
If the rain stays away this week, Stuchbery predicted play would go ahead on the weekend.
“The greens are fine, no problems there,” he said.
“The fairways were the problem, but with a few days of sun we’ll be sweet.”
Stuchbery laughed off suggestions he would cut the greens to suit his play, considering he and partner Andrew Ikstrums were shaping as one of the favourites.
“I’m glad to see some people think we might win it,” he said.
“That’s a compliment.”
Stuchbery lauded his partner Ikstrums, the Bundaberg Golf Club apprentice.
“He’s playing great golf and I was keen to have a real crack at the Burnett Cup this year,” he said.
Their chances of taking out the tie were given an immediate boost when favourites Brock Wooldridge and Roy Howard were rolled in the first round.
The draw for Sunday’s cancelled round will now stand for this Sunday, February 28.
The men will now play their quarter finals on March 7, their semi on March 13 and final on Saturday, March 20. The ladies’ Burnett Cup and Plate will hold their rounds on the same dates.