Quarry company seeks extension
THE company trying to establish a new quarry in the Innes Park area is applying for a two-year extension of its permit to operate its existing Bargara facility.
Holcim Australia has applied to the Planning and Environment Court for the extension.
In a confidential meeting on Tuesday, Bundaberg Regional Council's planning and environment committee agreed not to oppose the application.
The company has applied to have its permit extended to December 31, 2016.
However, it would only be allowed to extract stone from the site until November 30 this year.
After that it would only be allowed to stockpile the material and complete rehabilitation of the site.
Planning and development spokesman Ross Sommerfeld said after the meeting the application for the new quarry had recently moved into the decision stage after the end of the referral process.
Public notification application ended on November 15 last year, but it was unlikely the council would be able to rule on it before the end of April.
John Broadfoot, spokesman for the Quarry Action Group, which opposes the application, said about 50 submissions were presented to the council on November 14.
"We believe that development, traffic and environmental concerns are the main issues," he said.
A Holcim spokeswoman said the extension application was just to enable it to close its operation in a timely manner, including rehabilitation.
"We don't expect to submit any further extensions," she said.
The application for the new quarry was still with the council.