Letters: A reminder for Councillor Judy Peters
Letters: AS THE divisional councillor for the proposed Kepnock Regional Shopping Centre, Councillor Judy Peters (NM, 25/6) needs to be reminded that she was not re-elected at the last local government elections.
Rather, she was one of four sitting councillors with no opposing candidates.
Whether this was a matter of trust, as she assumes - or lack of options - is a matter for individuals.
"Regardless of location" previous councils, as she states, "prioritised" issues.
Bundaberg City Council prioritised protection of the Baldwin Swamp Wetlands by purchasing extra land for drainage purposes in the Kepnock vicinity.
As an (often) member of the powerful BR6 voting bloc, Cr Peters now agrees that:
1. The underground aquifer is not council's responsibility
2. The wetlands, in her division, do not geographically adjoin either the Masters or shopping centre approval sites
3. Kepnock's Aldi roundabout can handle all traffic for Masters, Aldi and the school
4. It's okay to flood her constituents' properties in Glen Ct
5. It's okay to flood the underground carpark of the proposed shopping centre
6. The "priority" for council is to determine the acceptable depth.
What, if anything, Cr Peters, did you learn from the disastrous floods of 2011 and 2013 and the traffic gridlock that was Bunnings - with the same road in and out?
Kepnock Residents Action Group