Donald Trump has spoken for the first time since his COVID-19 diagnosis in a video taken just before he was removed from the White House.
Donald Trump has spoken for the first time since his COVID-19 diagnosis in a video taken just before he was removed from the White House.

President’s message to nervous nation

Donald Trump has spoken for first time since his COVID-19 diagnosis in a prerecorded address filmed just before he was removed from the White House and taken to Walter Reed Medical Centre.

The President of the United States posted a video message to his Twitter account updating the nation on his and wife Melania's health, describing it as a "precautionary measure".

RELATED: How the Trumps got COVID

President Donald Trump shared a video message on Twitter updating everyone on his condition after being diagnosed with COVID-19 on Friday. Picture: Twitter/DonaldTrump
President Donald Trump shared a video message on Twitter updating everyone on his condition after being diagnosed with COVID-19 on Friday. Picture: Twitter/DonaldTrump

"I think I am doing very well but we are going to make sure that things work out," he said.

"The first lady is doing very well."

He went on to thank everyone for the "tremendous support".

 

US media reported Donald Trump is experiencing cold-like symptoms after announcing both he and First Lady Melania Trump had tested positive to COVID-19 in the early hours of Friday morning, local time.

The President is said to be showing mild symptoms of coronavirus.

He and FLOTUS were tested after being in close contact with special adviser, Hope Hicks, who started showing symptoms of the virus on Wednesday and received a positive diagnosis on Thursday.

The New York Times reported the President had previously seemed "raspy" in public and lethargic after a fundraiser at his Bedminster, New Jersey golf club on Thursday, where he came into contact with around 100 people.

He is also said to have fallen asleep on the plane on a flight home from a rally in Minnesota on Wednesday night.

 

His treatment plan wasn't clear initially but Mr Trump and the First Lady have now been taken to Walter Reed Medical Centre, a military hospital, to be treated for the virus.

About an hour before the announcement that Mr Trump would go to Walter Reed, White House physician Sean Conley released an update on his condition.

"As of this afternoon the President remains fatigued but in good spirits," Dr Conley said.

"He's being evaluated by a team of experts, and together we'll be making recommendations to the President and First Lady in regards to next best steps.

"First Lady Melania Trump remains well with only a mild cough and headache, and the remainder of the First Family are well and tested negative for SARS-CoV-2 today."

 

Dr Conley also specified which medications the President had taken. They included an experimental cocktail of antibodies.

"As a precautionary measure, he received a single eight gram dose of Regeneron's polyclonal antibody cocktail. He completed the infusion without incident," he said.

"In addition to the polyclonal antibodies, the President has been taking zinc, vitamin D, famotidine, melatonin and a daily aspirin."

Many flooded The President's video address with well-wishes and expressed concern, especially given Mr Trump is 74 which puts him in the high risk category.

Others appear to show little sympathy.

Mr Trump's election opponent, Democratic nominee Joe Biden, wished the first couple well during a speech in Grand Rapids, Michigan today.

"My wife Jill and I pray they'll make a quick and full recovery," Mr Biden said.

 

Continue the conversation @RebekahScanlan | rebekah.scanlan@news.com.au

 

Originally published as President's message to nervous nation



Bundy man reveals how lack of jobs led him to escort work

Premium Content Bundy man reveals how lack of jobs led him to escort work

One escort has revealed how he turned to a controversial line of work because of a...

What an inland Bruce Hwy would mean for our region and city

Premium Content What an inland Bruce Hwy would mean for our region and city

A BILLION dollar project could result in 50% of trucks taken off the Bruce Hwy...

Everybody appearing at Bundaberg Magistrates Court today

Premium Content Everybody appearing at Bundaberg Magistrates Court today

Here is a list of matters listed at Bundaberg Magistrates Court on Friday.