Police appeal to public after suspicious death of young boy

DETECTIVES are investigating the suspicious death of a child in Ipswich earlier this year.

Police were called to a Sonter St address in Raceview on June 21 after emergency services workers located the body of a nine-month-old boy inside the premises.

A crime scene was established and forensic examinations conducted over a number of days.

As a result, an investigation centre was commenced at Yamanto Police Station with detectives from Ipswich Child Protection Unit and State Crime Command's Child Trauma Unit.

Ipswich District Crime Services Unit Detective Inspector David Briese said the investigation has been ongoing since June 21.

"Basically, we're treating the death as suspicious," he said.

"We have spoken to a lot of friends and associates who know the family and know of the death but there's no doubt people who would know about it who we haven't been able to identify have information they might be able to share with us.

"We're appealing to anyone who knew the family who might have information, mainly about the family, their habits and if they saw the children prior and have any knowledge of family behaviours. That's what we're appealing for (from the public)."

If you have information for police, contact Policelink on 131 444 or provide information using this online form 24 hour a day.

You can report information about crime anonymously to Crime Stoppers by calling 1800 333 000 or via crimestoppersqld.com.au 24hrs per day.

Quote this reference number: QP1901755161.



UPDATE: Teen in hospital with broken bones after bike crash

Premium Content UPDATE: Teen in hospital with broken bones after bike crash

The girl suffered significant injuries to her arms as well as injuries to her...

The plan to save our crops as backpacker numbers drop

Premium Content The plan to save our crops as backpacker numbers drop

PRIOR to Covid-19, there were 160,000 seasonal workers in Australia

Restrictions lifted as QLD records one new case

Premium Content Restrictions lifted as QLD records one new case

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk provides update on COVID-19 in Queensland