Plunkett doubles up
BUNDABERG trainer Henry Plunkett continued his dream start to the new year by claiming a double at Thabeban Park with Chin Chin and Ring Dang Doo for the second week in a row on Saturday.
Chin Chin ($3.35) was victorious for the third straight Bundaberg meeting, beating Farmor Striking by eight lengths in the Hypro Pet Foods Fifth Grade.
Sandwiched in between her win at the last local meeting for 2011 on December 17 and when racing resumed for the new year last Saturday week, the sleek black hound had two starts in Rockhampton for a third and a fourth.
But after recording just one first, one second and four thirds from her first local six starts, the daughter of Collision has now put it all together and there appears to be no stopping her.
Ring Dang Doo ($3.80) outgunned the more fancied Ignite The Rage ($2.80) in the Jim Galloway Fifth Grade, crossing the line 2.25 lengths in front.
Also black in colour but a male, Ring Dang Doo has also found a liking for the track with his four starts on it so far yielding back-to-back wins after running third at his first start in the city on November 26 then second behind Chin Chin on December 17.
He had managed just one win and one second from his first 13 outings on other tracks.
Meanwhile, without top-liners El Fooling and Uno Leo in the field, Yes Master returned to the winners' list in the Best 8 event.
Trained by Walter Gordon, Yes Master came from unplaced runs at Townsville, Rockhampton and Albion Park to be thrashed by El Fooling a week earlier.
But this time, the big dog was sent out a $2 favourite, and he prevailed in a heavyweight showdown with Large Shot, triumphing by three-quarters of a length.
Cambla Kid, from the Howard kennels of Louise Cameron, also returned to the winners' list in the third and fourth grade.
Rockhampton dog Hang Ten Trick ($7.50) was a surprise winner in the Novice, recording just her second win in 20 starts.
Coominya greyhounds took out the two maiden races with Gun Powder, which had failed dismally at Ipswich at each of his first three starts, a surprise but narrow winner for Ricky Rolls, paying $6.50, and the Phillip Shaxson- trained Jag One ($1.50) saluting the judge a 10.25-length victor.
1. HONEY'S DOG HOUSE Maiden 460m, 1 GUN POWDER (3) 6.50, 2 Pedro's Quartet (6) 12.00, 3 Galaxy Flight (1) 3.00, Time 27.93, Margins head x 1 ¼ , Gun Powder is owned and trained by Ricky Rolls.
2. FOUR WAY BREEDING AND RACING Mdn 460m, 1 JAG ONE (7) 1.50, 2 Last Card Manila (8) 4.60, 3 Rapid Oak (2) 5.00, Scr Cheeky Bit, Roses From Mick, Time 27.12, 10 ¼ x 1 ¾ Jag One is owned by Ashley Furner, trained by P Shaxson.
3. MATT & RUTH MATIC Novice 460m, 1 HANG TEN TRICK (1) 7.50, 2 Octo Battle (2) 5.00, 3 Black Comet (5) 2.15, All Started, Time 27.13, Margins 1 x 1 ½ , Hang Ten Trick is owned by Susan Schafer and trained by Andrew Suli of Rockhampton.
4. HYPRO PET FOODS 5TH Grade 460m, 1 CHIN CHIN (2) 3.35, 2 Farmor Striking (3) 7.00, 3 Lily's On Fire (1) 4.20, Time 26.75, Margins 8 x 2 ½ Chin Chin is owned by RNR Ptn and trained by Henry Plunkett.
5. MICHAEL JAMES 3 / 4 Grade 460m, 1 CAMBLA KID (1) 2.00, 2 Ripping Speed (2) 2.50, 3 Cold Speed (7) 8.00, Scr Farmor Do That, Expert Mission, Farmor Necessity, Time 27.14, Margins 2 ½ x ¾ Cambla Kid is owned/trained by Louise Cameron.
6. JACK DEMPSEY STATE MEMBER, Best.8. 550m, 1 YES MASTER (2) 2.00, 2 Large Shot (1) 2.35, 3 Sunday Sesh (6) 2.20, Scratched Kell's Fool, Time 31.94, Margins ¾ 4 ½ , Yes Master is owned and trained by Walter Gordon of Bundaberg.
7. GALLOWAY 5th Gr 460m, 1 RING DANG DOO (7) 3.80, 2 Ignite The Rage (1) 2.80, 3 Rat's Babe (2) 4.60, Time 27.13, Margins 2 ¼ x 1 ¼ , Ring Dang Doo is owned by Steven Plunkett and trained by H Plunkett.