Trick-or-treating: Street list and safety tips
WITH Halloween gaining popularity in Australia, many little zombies, ghosts and witches will take to Bundaberg's streets tonight.
Senior Sergeant Craig Williams said while the Queensland Police Service was prepared to respond to poltergeists wrecking havoc or the ever-present threat of a zombie outbreak, trick-or-treaters should be aware of other more likely dangers.
"While Halloween has not traditionally been celebrated in Australia, we have seen an increase in the number of Queenslanders who are actively celebrating Halloween," he said.
"It can be a fun night, but some in the community are rightly concerned that trick-or-treating can be fraught with danger.
"By taking a few minutes to familiarise yourself with a few safety tips, we can ensure tonight is a 'frightful' night for all the right reasons."
Trick-or-treat more safely:
- Be accompanied by a mother or father monster at all times (or another responsible witch, ghost or vampire).
- Walk, don't run between houses.
- Stick to the footpath rather than the road. If you wear black, you'll be harder to see on roads.
- Never enter a stranger's house, even if they have invited you in after knocking on their door.
- Be aware that not everybody celebrates Halloween, and some may find a group of young witches, zombies or Frankenstein's bride on their door step very confronting.
- Consider joining your friends on your neighbourhood adventure - there is safety in numbers.
- Give children torches to carry in the dark.
- If kids wear masks, make sure they can see.
Streets where some people are participating:
Please note that some houses are participating in these streets - but not all will be.
Some ways to identify participating houses is to look for an outdoor front light turned on, balloons or Halloween deocorations.
- Explorers Way, Bargara
- Ann St, East Bundaberg
- Cochrane St, Millbank
- Clearview Avenue, Thabeban
- Firefly St, Bargara
- Moodies Rd, Bargara
- Baker St, Bundaberg
- Thomas Healy Drive
- Hurley Court, East
- Dawson St, East
- Boundary St, Walkervale
- Club Avenue, Moore Park Beach
- Foreshore Parade, Bargara
- Neville Drive, Branyan
- Quinlan Drive
- Paddington Grove, off Gahans Rd
- Santina Drive
- Row St, Kepnock
- Macgregor Court
- Swan Drive, Kalkie
- Hunter St
- Boundary St, South Bundaberg
- Fairway Drive, Bargara
- Steuart St, North Bundaberg
- Buchanan Drive, Bargara
- Central Avenue, Thabeban
- Clive Crescent, Kepnock