Patrons cop pepper spray

IT WAS a dramatic start to the opening of the Sugarland Tavern's new nightclub after a man allegedly sprayed patrons with pepper spray on Saturday night.

A 41-year-old man has been charged after allegedly releasing pepper spray into an area of the Sugarland Tavern's new nightclub on Saturday night.

Bundaberg Police said the man entered the One Nightclub establishment at 9.45pm, and allegedly discharged the substance in the bar area.

Sergeant Mick Ward said the man was charged with possessing the illegal pepper spray, as well as two offences under the Liquor Act - creating a disturbance in a licensed venue and obstructing a licensee.

A 28-year-old man was also charged with obstructing a licensee.

Sugarland Tavern co-owner Scott Armstrong said the man had entered the downstairs bar just 45 minutes after the club had opened, and allegedly discharged the pepper spray in the direction of other patrons.

"He immediately left ... and he's been given a life ban," Mr Armstrong said.

The One Nightclub has been described by management as an establishment targeting "classy" patrons, with an expectation of high standards of behaviour.

Mr Armstrong said the venue had done its best in dealing with Saturday night's incident.

"Unfortunately there is no way we are able to check on someone carrying a banned substance, like a spray," he said.

The co-owner said about 1600 people had come through the venue's doors at the weekend, and that it was a one-off, isolated incident.

"We have a zero tolerance for this sort of behaviour - that's why we gave him a life ban," he said.

Hours later, at 2.40am, police were called back to the Sugarland Tavern car park, where an 18-year-old Childers woman was arrested after she allegedly damaged the front door of the venue.

Sgt Ward said while the woman was being arrested, another 18-year-old woman, also from Childers, began to allegedly obstruct the attending constable, and was restrained.

During an ensuring scuffle, the woman is alleged to have bitten the male officer on the upper left arm.

She was charged with two counts of obstructing police and a serious assault of an officer. The woman who allegedly damaged the door was also charged with obstructing police and wilful damage.

TOOT TOOT: Queen's Baton on board our steam train

TOOT TOOT: Queen's Baton on board our steam train

First stop: Bundaberg Botanic Gardens

Familiar face during war sparks lifelong friendship

Familiar face during war sparks lifelong friendship

Army life fires up mateship

Local Partners