Outsize egg may have caused death
THIS is the egg that probably cost one of Ken Buckholz's chickens its life.
Mr Buckholz got a shock recently when he was out collecting the eggs from his free-range chickens and he found one of them had laid this monster.
Mr Buckholz, who lives on a property between Miriam Vale and Agnes Water, said the egg weighed 100g, substantially bigger than the normal jumbo egg that weighs in at 70g.
“It's huge,” he said.
“I'm in my 60s and I've had chooks all my life, but I've never seen one like it.”
Unfortunately, the effort of squeezing out the monster egg may have cost the chicken responsible its life.
Mr Buckholz said since his birds were free-range he could not be sure which one had laid the egg.
But two days after he found the egg he found one of his chooks had died.
“This egg is monstrous, and they're not very big chooks,” Mr Buckholz said.
“I'd say that's what killed her.”
Mr Buckholz said nothing in the chooks' diet could account for the size of the egg.
“I just feed them pellets, crushed corn and a bit of scraps,” he said.
Mr Buckholz is keeping the egg in the fridge until he decides what to do with it.