News

Neighbour allegedly showed 12-year-old girl porn film

THE trial of a 50-year-old Bundaberg South man who allegedly showed two pornographic films to his 12-year-old neighbour has begun in the Bundaberg District Court.

The defendant, who can not be named to protect the complainant, is charged with one count of indecent treatment of a child.

In her opening address Crown prosecutor Katrina Overell told the court the complainant, a 12-year-old girl, was alone with the defendant in his bedroom when he allegedly showed her the films.

Ms Overell said the incident occurred on February 22 last year and earlier that day the complainant, her mother and three siblings had spent time at the defendant's house.

She said the complainant and her brother had been mowing the defendant's lawn and learning to use the lawnmower.

Ms Overell said during the trial the seven women, five men jury would hear from five witnesses, including the complainant, the complainant's mother and brother.

She said the court would be shown a police video recording in which the complainant says the defendant told her she would "have to learn about it sooner or later" as he played the films.

Ms Overall said the complainant also told police the defendant told her the women in the films "took special pills not to get pregnant."

Ms Overell said the complainant described the content of the films as disgusting and said it made her feel "uncomfortable and not very good inside."

She said during the trial the court would hear evidence that when the complainant returned home she allegedly told her mother she had watched "sex movies."

Ms Overell said the complainant's mother reported the incident to police and when they searched the defendant's house they allegedly found a USB with six pornographic films, two of which matched the description of the explicate material the complainant had described to police.

But Defence lawyer Andrew Hoare said there were inconstancies in the versions of events that would be given as evidence, which would create reasonable doubt.

The trial, before Judge Michael Rackemann, is expected to continue today.

Topics:  bundaberg court crime editors picks porn



Zack lived like every moment mattered

Zack McIver with his beloved Maloo ute.

Simplest of things the best for Zack

LETTER: 20% can be still wasted on cashless card

ON THE CARD: Keith Pitt and Alan Tudge announce the Cashless Card for Bundaberg.

Letter writer says move is good, but not enough

Fuel and batteries stolen from council

DRAIN ON RESOURCES: Council has had property stolen.

The matter has been reported to police

Local Partners