'Sassy and quick-witted', mum dies after being burned in fire
A TOOWOOMBA woman, who was severely burned in a unit fire and battled cancer, has died.
Noleen Madden was found lying in her garage with her legs on fire on June 28 and was rushed to hospital with deep tissue trauma burns.
Her Wilsonton Heights house unit was badly damaged and the family lost priceless possessions.
Her daughter Danielle said Noleen struggled after the fire.
She was moved to the palliative care ward at Toowoomba Hospital before transferring to the Toowoomba Hospice.
Noleen declined any medical interventions that would have sustained her life.
Danielle said it was unclear whether her mother had died from the burns or from cancer.
She passed away peacefully on Sunday at 11.30am.
Danielle said her mother wasn't able to remember the fire and was in shock every time she saw her burns.
She remembered her mother as a popular woman who was "very sassy and quick-witted".
"She was very sarcastic and funny; she used to be the life of the party," Danielle said.
"She used to love to read. And she always had a couple of dogs, she loved dogs."
The family grew up in Townsville before moving to Toowoomba.
Danielle later moved to Uluru to work as a chef but returned to Toowoomba in April to look after her mother full time.
She said her mother would be farewelled at a private funeral surrounded by friends and family.
To follow their story or to contribute to the funeral costs visit gofundme.com/2btcdsc.