THE Salvation Army's Tom Quinn Centre provided the location for a special morning tea, part of NAIDOC Week celebrations.
Chairperson for the Woorabar Elder, Aunty Lester Barnard said the Tom Quinn Centre manager Tom Osborne had kindly offered to host the event for the second year.
"It was really nice to see people from the community joining in NAIDOC celebrations," she said.
Ms Barnard said this week's events were essential not only to the Aboriginal people but for the whole community.
"It's very important to make sure our young people connect with our elders and learn about our traditional ways," she said.
"NAIDOC Week also lets the mainstream community know what Aboriginal people are doing."
Ms Barnard said NAIDOC Week was also a chance for the Aboriginal community, especially the younger generation to proudly acknowledge their culture.
"They really looking forward to each year and being able to wave the flag for their people," she said.
NAIDOC Week celebrations will continue all this week with a number of events held across the city.
- Tomorrow at 9am: Walking Group PCYC followed by barbecue at the Botanic Gardens, North Bundaberg.
- Tomorrow at 11.30am Elders NAIDOC Luncheon with Woorabar Elders; invitation only.
- Thursday at 5.30pm: All-ages movie night; PCYC, 37 Maryborough St.
- Thursday at 5.30pm: Art exhibition by local Aboriginal and Torress Strait Islander artists; School of Arts, Bourbong St.Woorabar Elders
- Friday at 9am: Events at PCYC Maryborough St; NAIDOC march, Barber Park at PCYC, 10am start; stall holders $20; information service providers free.
- Friday at 12.30pm: Jukunyula Tiny Tot Quest; registration and judging, PCYC.Event
- Friday from 12.30-3pm: All Stars Sports Day, Kepnock State High School, Kepnock Rd.
- Saturday at 9.30am: Cookie Fisher Memorial Trophy cricket match, Murri community v Queensland Police Service, PCYC, 9.30am-3pm followed by barbecue; all welcome.
- Saturday at 6.30pm: 2013 Wide Bay Burnett Regional NAIDOC Awards Ball; Bundaberg RSL, Quay St., Bundaberg Medicare Local Bundaberg
- Sunday at 2pm: Bundaberg Thabeban Little Athletics come and try day open; inquiries to Sylvia on 0478 217 696.
- Sunday at 6pm: Closing Church Service; Christ Church Anglican Church, Woongarra St; all welcome.