Mixed reaction on quarry
THERE have been mixed reactions to news the Innes Park quarry has been knocked back, with residents very happy and company Holcim disappointed.
State Development, Infrastructure and Planning Minister and Deputy Premier Jeff Seeney announced last Friday he had decided to reject the proposed quarry, which he had called in.
However, Mr Seeney did approve a large housing development in the area.
Quarry Action Group co-ordinator John Broadfoot said the community could now plan and grow with certainty.
"Many developments and infrastructure improvements have been stagnating for almost five years due to indecision surrounding the possibility of another quarry on the coastline," he said.
"The anticipated growth along the coastal strip will provide more jobs in the construction industry."
But Holcim Australia yesterday expressed its disappointment with the decision not to allow the quarry.
Executive General Manager of Aggregates Bruce Nicholson said the proposed quarry was to replace the company's existing Bargara site, which had been operating since the 1960s and considered an important part of the community, helping to build many local construction projects and employing nine local people in addition to many local contractors.
Mr Nicholson said the company would now focus on working with its people and customers as the Bargara quarry closed at the end of the year.
Bundaberg Mayor Mal Forman welcomed the State Government's decision to open the way for coastal development with the rejection of the quarry.