Man jailed after driving charge
A MAN with an “atrocious” driving history will be behind bars until next year following an appearance in court yesterday at which he pleaded guilty to his tenth unlicensed and disqualified driving offence.
Stanley Oscar Knowles, 40, of Avoca, whispered and gestured to his young family and partner from the docks throughout his court proceedings.
Police prosecutor Sergeant Barry Stevens told Bundaberg Magistrates Court police pulled Knowles over while he was driving at Blackwater on December 23.
He was driving a Holden sedan about 7.23pm and when asked for his licence, told an officer he was disqualified by court order.
He then failed to turn up for his court mention for the offence.
On August 25 this year, police noted a car broken down on the side of the road at Steffensen Street.
They spoke to Knowles who said he had been driving the vehicle prior to it breaking down.
Sgt Stevens said Knowles had a three-page long history.
“Unfortunately the defendant has a pretty poor history and has been convicted for unlicensed driving three times in the past 18 months,” he said.
He has seven unlicensed driving convictions and three for disqualified driving plus a suspended sentence for a similar offence.
Defence barrister Simon Burgess said he could not argue that a jail term was not appropriate for his client.
He said Knowles had failed to appear at court because his wife was pregnant and he wanted to meet his child before being jailed.
“He is realistic about the fact that he will be going to prison for a stretch,” Mr Burgess said.
He asked Magistrate Neil Lavaring to set the father of several children a parole release date before Christmas.
However Mr Lavaring had other ideas - sentencing the man to a total of 10 months and two weeks jail with parole after about five months on January 25.
“Your history is atrocious,” he told the defendant.
He declared 35 days already served and disqualified Knowles' licence for six years.