Accused Bundaberg pub robber released on bail
A MAN who is accused of being involved in a violent armed robbery of a Bundaberg pub has been released on bail ahead of his trial.
Justin Allan Lecauteur, 26, was charged along with three others over the alleged hold-up of the East End Hotel on September 12 last year that netted $22,710 in cash.
Police received a tip-off and the four were arrested at Kelly's Beach Resort in Bargara.
The Brisbane Supreme Court heard on Wednesday that the case against Mr Lecauteur was based solely on circumstantial evidence.
Defence barrister Justin Craven told the bail hearing that police do not allege Mr Lecauteur was involved in the actual robbery.
He said police claim his client was involved in the planning of the robbery and allegedly provided those responsible with a stolen vehicle and rifle that were used in the offence.
"The vehicle and rifle used in the offence were stolen on September 4 from near Cairns and Townsville respectively," he said.
"There is no evidence even to suggest my client had any association with his co-accused.
"He has already spent 10 months in jail and there is the real possibility he could spend more time in jail than is warranted given the circumstantial case against him."
Crown prosecutor William Slack said Mr Lecauteur posed an unacceptable risk of re-offending and given the seriousness of the charge should not be released on bail.
Justice John Bond disagreed saying he was satisfied that strict bail conditions would mitigate any risks the Crown had concerns about.
Those bail conditions included a night-time curfew, abstaining from consuming alcohol or drugs, reporting to police and living with his mother in Far North Queensland.
The trial is not expected to be held until next year and could last for between one and two weeks given there could be up to 54 witnesses called to give evidence.
- APN NEWSDESK.