Magistrate Graeme Curran leaves court. Picture: John Grainger
Magistrate Graeme Curran leaves court. Picture: John Grainger

Magistrate to stand trial on historic child sex charges

SYDNEY magistrate Graeme Curran has been committed to stand trial over alleged historical child sex offences dating back to the 1980s.

Magistrate Curran appeared before the Downing Centre Local Court this morning where he waived his right to a committal hearing and will now face the NSW District Court in July.

The 67-year-old has been charged with nine counts of indecently assaulting a boy between 1981 and 1983.

Today Victorian magistrate Felicity Broughton appeared in court via video link and committed him to stand trial.

"Mr Curran, you've waived your entitlement to a committal hearing," Magistrate Broughton said.

"That's correct, Your Honour," Magistrate Curran said.

"You're now committed to stand trial at the NSW District Court," Ms Broughton said.

He is due to face the NSW District Court on July 6 where it is expected a date will be set for his trial.

Outside of court magistrate Curran declined to answer why he had waived his right to a committal hearing.

Committal hearings in the local court take place in order for a magistrate to assess whether there was a reasonable prospect a jury would convict an accused, based on the evidence presented.

Police set up Strike Force Stantke in 2014 to investigate reports that a boy had been sexually assaulted in the 1980s.

Magistrate Curran's position was suspended after he was charged in November last year.

The well-known magistrate was sworn onto the bench in August 2002 and has sat on cases at Burwood, Blacktown, Mt Druitt and the Downing Centre.

He sat on the Children's Court between 2004 and 2006.



Bargara is region's skin cancer hotspot

premium_icon Bargara is region's skin cancer hotspot

Bundaberg's melanoma diagnoses are higher than the national average

Search for car involved in overnight hit-and-run

Search for car involved in overnight hit-and-run

Police investigate a hit-and-run incident from overnight

Childers kidnapping trial moved to Brisbane for 'security'

premium_icon Childers kidnapping trial moved to Brisbane for 'security'

Judge rules Bundaberg Courthouse is dated and too small for trial

Local Partners