Violent repeat offender jailed

A BARGARA man who broke another man’s cheekbones faced Bundaberg Magistrates Court on nine separate charges yesterday.

Andrew Peter Fredric, 32, pleaded guilty to offences including drink-driving, assault causing bodily harm and breaching domestic violence orders.

Police prosecutor Sergeant Barry Stevens outlined to the court Fredric’s two-year offending streak started in November 31, 2008, when he was found driving a vehicle with a blood-alcohol level of 0.206% on Morshead Street.

He was then charged with assault after he punched a 27-year-old man, breaking his cheekbones, on March 14 last year.

The court was told Fredric, along with other men, attacked the victim after a night of drinking.

“The defendant entered the complainant’s room and punched him in the head as he lay on the bed,” Sgt Stevens said.

Defence lawyer Nick Larter told the court the attack was provoked by the victim, because he had assaulted his own girlfriend earlier in the evening.

“They intervened in an inappropriate way,” he said.

“It was a retaliation of actions of the complainant towards his girlfriend.”

Magistrate Jennifer Batts said Fredric had a “serious” criminal history.

“Your history, both criminal and traffic, does not aid you here today,” she said.

“You’ve already received terms of imprisonment for disqualified driving.

“You’ve had sentences of imprisonment imposed upon you for assault occasioning bodily harm and breaches of domestic violence.”

The magistrate convicted and sentenced Fredric to 12 months in jail, and he was disqualified from driving for more than six years.

His parole date was set for July 4.

Bundy's Insta-famous pooch gets red carpet walk

premium_icon Bundy's Insta-famous pooch gets red carpet walk

Daisy has created quite a following on Instagram

Local hairdresser wins national competition

premium_icon Local hairdresser wins national competition

Niki Newport's passion for colour gains Australian recognition

UPDATE: Lane reopen after head-on crash

UPDATE: Lane reopen after head-on crash

Police spokeswoman confirms Miller St is open after head-on crash

Local Partners