Carl Valeri, controlling the play for Melbourne Victory, has some forthright views on the power struggle that threatens the hierarchy of the game in Australia.
Carl Valeri, controlling the play for Melbourne Victory, has some forthright views on the power struggle that threatens the hierarchy of the game in Australia. JOE CASTRO

Just do the right thing for the game

RESPECTED Melbourne Victory veteran and former Socceroo Carl Valeri says he does not care who ends up running the game in Australia, so long as they have soccer's best interests at heart.

With the game in limbo after Thursday's controversial AGM failed to find a consensus on the make-up of Football Federation Australia's voting congress, the prospect of world governing body FIFA wiping out the existing FFA board is very real.

That also clouds the search for a new Socceroos coach.

And one of the mooted candidates, Victory boss Kevin Muscat, says he has not been contacted about the possibility of taking the team to next year's World Cup.

Victory skipper Valeri, a 52-time Socceroo and an active players' union member, said there were issues in the game that had been put on hold during soccer's bitter civil war.

"It's a tough one for me to comment on,” he said.

"But really, I don't mind if there's a lot of arguing and bickering so as long as the end goal is to make the sport as good as it can be here, which I believe is in everyone's best interests.

"It's not about the individual, it's about the next generations coming through. There are too many areas that need addressing that are being missed.

"So as long as, when this is all done, whoever is in charge has that in mind, then I'll be at peace.

"Whether it's the current FFA, FIFA coming in, the PFA (Professional Footballers Australia), everyone needs to have the game's best interests at heart.”

FFA chief executive David Gallop said the prospect of a FIFA takeover would not alter the timetable of the search for a replacement for Ange Postecoglou.

Following calls for an independent committee of experts to oversee the appointment process, Gallop intimated that was a path his organisation would go down.

"We'll obviously look to take on board football expertise and make sure we've got the field covered,” Gallop said.

While Graham Arnold is considered the favourite to take charge, Muscat's name is another that has been pushed.

But the man himself won't be actively campaigning.

"I've gone on record saying it's the pinnacle of your career to represent your country,” Muscat said.

"But at this point in time I haven't been spoken to so everything else is hypothetical.

"I don't believe you put your hand up for such an honourable position, I think you're chosen.”



CRASH HERO: Boy provides vital information for search

CRASH HERO: Boy provides vital information for search

Police praise 'heroic' actions teen boy after crash

Centrelink goes after Aussies with welfare debts

Centrelink goes after Aussies with welfare debts

“For those who refuse to take action, interest charges are only the beginning."

Four more men charged, in court after shooting

Four more men charged, in court after shooting

Detectives have charged four more men following investigations.

Local Partners