Man jailed for stealing trolley of groceries from Coles

A MAN loaded up his trolley at Coles, including bags of meat and other groceries, bypassed the cash register and walked straight out.

Guy William Davidson faced Mackay Magistrates Court Tuesday charged with one count of stealing as well as one count of failing to dispose of a syringe.

Appearing via video link, the McEwens Beach man, 39, represented himself and pleaded guilty to the charges.

Prosecutor James Grehan said police at Caneland Central, on August 22 this year, were made aware of a man quickly pushing a trolley towards the shopping centre exit, full of six plastic bags full of meat and groceries.

The man walked away from the trolley, claiming the items were not his. CCTV footage showed the man had filled the trolley and left the store, making no attempt to pay. The total cost of the items was $547 and the goods were returned to the supermarket.

The court was further told that on August 21 this year police from Mackay Tactical Crime squad were conducting patrols in George St, South Mackay when they observed a male running along the footpath and into a residence.

"At this time, based on the observations, police believed the man to be a person of interest," Mr Grehan said.

"On searching the premises, police found Mr Davidson was the only person in the house and discovered two hypodermics syringes in the toilet bowl."

Police observed the defendant had a fresh needle mark in his arm.


 Guy William Davidson was jailed for six months for stealing.

 He will be eligible for parole on November 21.

 A conviction was recorded for the other charge but no further punishment was imposed.

Bundy's Insta-famous pooch gets red carpet walk

premium_icon Bundy's Insta-famous pooch gets red carpet walk

Daisy has created quite a following on Instagram

Local hairdresser wins national competition

premium_icon Local hairdresser wins national competition

Niki Newport's passion for colour gains Australian recognition

UPDATE: Lane reopen after head-on crash

UPDATE: Lane reopen after head-on crash

Police spokeswoman confirms Miller St is open after head-on crash

Local Partners