Menu
News

Husband charged with rape of wife

©istockphoto/antb

A BURNETT Heads man has appeared in court accused of raping his wife.

Bundaberg District Court heard yesterday the man, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, entered the bedroom he shared with his wife on January 6 last year and forced her to have sex with him.

The man pleaded not guilty to the rape charge.

Prosecutor Sandra Cupina said the couple had a history of separating and reconciling and, earlier in the evening, had a discussion about their future because the woman was concerned about the man's drinking.

Ms Cupina alleged in her opening statement that about 11pm, the man entered the bedroom naked and demanded to have sex with the woman.

When she refused, the man lay on the bed beside her and began pulling at his wife until she was on top of him.

“She tried to get off him and was saying no,” Ms Cupina said.

It was alleged the man was holding his wife down by her thighs.

Ms Cupina said the man then raped his wife.

The court heard the woman suffered from shoulder and knee problems, making it difficult to free herself from her husband's grip.

Ms Cupina said earlier when the couple were talking, the man said to his wife: “I should smash your face in for what you've done.”

She told the court that after the incident, the woman left the room crying and went to her teenage son's room.

The woman told her son what had happened and then later told her teenage daughter and her daughter's boyfriend about the incident.

Ms Cupina said the woman called police the next day when her husband had left for work.

The court heard police arranged for the woman to be examined by a doctor.

Ms Cupina said the doctor's evidence would show that while there was no injury to the genital area, there was tenderness.

The couple's children, police witnesses and the doctor's evidence is expected to be heard when the trial resumes in the Bundaberg District Court today.

The defence will also present their case.



Funding to boost apprenticeships in Bundy

JOB GROWTH: Assistant Minister for Vocational Education and Skills Karen Andrews and Member for Hinkler Keith Pitt hosted the Real Skills for Real Careers forum in Bundaberg today.

Local MP says apprentice numbers not good enough

Card threat a 'worry' for mum, govt says it won't back down

30 year old Single Mum Crystal Silk hasn't been able to find employment since moving to Bundaberg 18 months ago and believes the Cashless Welfare Card will place too many restrictions on those already on a tight budget and are trying to do the right thing. Photo Lachie Millard

Woman says it's unfair to target people doing the right thing

No Honor between mates over $20 fraud

GUILTY PLEA: Cody John William Honor, 20, pleaded guilty in Bundaberg Magistrates Court to one count of fraud.

Man pawns housemates' air compressor

Local Partners