Home damaged in Steuart St fire
A HOME was completely gutted after a suspicious fire broke out in Bundaberg North on Sunday night.
Fire crews were called to the single-storey timber home on Steuart St about 9pm.
It took nine firefighters and two trucks about five hours get the blaze under control.
The roof was left intact, but the walls were completely damaged by the inferno.
Brodie Scott, 19, said she had moved from the house just last week, leaving only her couches and kitchen utensils in the building.
"Thank God I had got my clothes, TV and the baby stuff out," she said.
Ms Scott said she had been living there with her former partner, their nine-month-old daughter and a flatmate.
She said she had only lived in the home for two or three weeks, and was shocked when she was called and told the news of the blaze.
Neighbour Jim Skelton said the sound of the fire was the first thing that alerted him to the emergency.
"We just heard the big bang," he said.
"I first thought I thought it was firecrackers."
Police and firefighters investigated the damage yesterday and determined the fire had started in one of the Queenslander's front rooms.
Bundaberg Police Detective Senior Sergeant Joe Hildred said police were treating the fire as suspicious.
A 17-year-old boy was charged late yesterday in relation to the fire and will appear in Bundaberg Magistrates Court at a later date.